I
realise that often my writing has the tendency to be dramatically
depressing. Many people who I’ve known read my writing for the first
time are shocked, and those who don’t know me tend to reach out as if I
am going to off myself tomorrow.
In
person, I tend to appear as a carefree, happy go lucky guy with maybe a
dark sense of humor. Yet in the writing, all I am is the dark.
Partially due to the fact I write mostly when down, but also because
“happy” writing I feel is uninteresting and uncompelling.
I
would never argue these two sides are healthy. I think it is probably
quite unhealthy I have a hard time being as real and serious as I would
like to be in person, or as fun and humorous as I would care to be
through writing. These are symptoms of a fracture in me that I’m still
learning to bridge. Part of me is still a little kid that covers up
pain with laughter. Writing becomes the only release, and I overload it
with despair.
Also,
I fear much of my humor wouldn’t come out well in writing. The
delivery of a line like “Today I drank a bottle of wine and didn’t kill
myself” could be said, and be funny. Posted on a blog or social media
would invoke a flurry of terrified friends and relatives who now believe
me to be a suicidal alcoholic.
As
I was working on the novel recently, I was taking out some of the
humor, as it is a serious and depressing tale. I realized, though, that
I lived this story, and there was humor. There were things and people
that helped me smile through the pain, remind me how tears can come from
a place of good as well. I need to work harder to include such
realities.
I live a balance of the good and bad, the pain and pleasure. We all do. We shouldn’t be ashamed of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment