Saturday, December 17, 2011

Perfection

    What is worth pursuing?  So many people focus on a single dedication, be it beauty, intellect, social or emotional pursuits.  We strive to be the best in our chosen area, and we forget all others.  Would it not be best to pursue all, even if you were never the best?  To be whole, rather than radiant in such a one dimensional way.
    We place these passions at war with each other.  We show beautiful people on television who are cold and lack empathy.  Intellectuals mock those who obsess over fashion and style.  Even the socialites, focused on building more and more human connections, undermine emotional depth and philosophical pursuits.
    Why is it, that we cannot accept our own gifts and strengths without trying to cut down others?  Why must we so willingly place ourselves in the boxes society has created?  I want all these things for myself, and is that really wrong?
    I want to be a handsome man, I like to be complimented and desired.  I need to engage my mind, push myself to mentally achieve, and expand.  I want to be cared for as a person, to be known by others, and to know them as well.  I long to be at peace, to find calm and ease my heart.  Is it so wrong to want all these things?  Is it just an impossible task, and so we create rules and rivalries to discourage others from attempting the impossible?  Or is it that it is just so hard, that we find it easier to discredit that which doesn’t come easy for us, so we never feel like we are missing out on the better life we could have.
    I want to fight and try for myself.  I need to struggle and strive to be as perfect as I can be, for me.  I may never find someone who loves me for me, or sees me as the perfect man, but what am I saying to myself if I don’t try to be that for myself everyday.
    Absent of you or anyone else, I need to be me.  Regardless of all else, I must become all the good I long to see, if only to show myself it exists.

1 comment: